18 June 2013

Typography

Hi, once again.
This post won't be a tutorial nor an exhibition of my works, but something that has intrigued me in the past few days.






I'm talking about typography. It's a cool technique dating from way back, back to the ancient times.
Typography comes from the Greek words, typos, meaning form, and graphe, meaning writing. It's a technique used to make language visible.
It might be a small, unnoticeable thing to some of you, but it includes a variety of "rules" and norms like leading, tracking, kerning, line length and typefaces (font families). Those are even used in the times we live in!

You might think typography is not a big deal, but most of things like maps, magazines and instrument panels have a standard that has to be followed to ensure readability and lower eye straining as much as possible. Think about it, you don't see the same font used in novels and Wikipedia, for example. Mostly because you have to read the novel fully to get the story and by doing that, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable and take often breaks to loosen yours eyes. But something like Wikipedia, ( a better example would be an encyclopedia or a phone book, but they don't get used that much nowadays ) most of the times, you're searching for one specific line and you're not required to read the whole text if you know what you are looking for.



Comparison of different typefaces

That's a small summary of how I get typography and it's really fascinating to me that it has such an impact on our modern world.
But typography hasn't just came to my mind like that and that's where Photoshop comes in.
While browsing, I've seen some very cool works that made me research more about typography.




I leave you with this, my try on typography. It's not the best, but I had to try it out.



It might be a bit hard to read, but if you're into Heroes of Newerth, you might get some, if not all, references. Every line in there is a voice quote of some heroes in HoN.
I will have another go on typography, so we will see how that goes on.

Thanks for reading, I hope you liked it.

Love, Shock!

No comments:

Post a Comment